Saturday, August 12, 2017

A Mint for Your Thoughts...

This is a golden memory from childhood: an Andes Mint wrapper folded into what looks like a tiny version of a paper hat. Growing up, one of our Fam's go-to restauratns was Olive Garden, especially when dining out with our Memere and Papa and Gramps. When the server would bring the mints with the check, we kids would revel in making these little shapes. We dubbed them "Spock ears". One of us would don the Spock ears and we'd giggle. I haven't thought about that in a long time.

We don't go to Olive Garden much these days. ($18 for Chicken Alfredo? Come on...) But, my Hubby was recently given some Olive Garden gift cards at work. Gift cards tend to burn holes in our little ol' pockets, so we went today for a late lunch. When the server came with the check and a treasure trove of those Andes Mints, I was immediately transported back in time. Seeing those little mints made my heart smile at the memories of those golden years. Before I knew it, I was making two Spock ears as I told our kids the story. They giggled and asked if we really wore them, and giggled some more when I confirmed that we did. Our son then tried out the ones I made in tribute. Both our kiddos pondered how they'd never encountered the pure glee that is an Andes Mint until today. And additional golden memories were made.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I think we might be in The Upside-down...

It's feeling kind of like The Upside-down from Stranger Things lately, isn't it? • We're becoming a cold, dark, scary, intoler...